Tarique Rahman India visit in doubt as Rashtrapati Bhavan withdraws statement and Dhaka says no final decision yet.

Tarique Rahman India Visit Faces Fresh Uncertainty

2 0

Tarique Rahman India Visit Faces Uncertainty After Rashtrapati Bhavan U-Turn

Tarique Rahman’s India visit has taken a sudden turn. A statement from Rashtrapati Bhavan appeared to confirm preparations for the Bangladesh Prime Minister’s ceremonial welcome. The statement was then withdrawn within about an hour. The unusual move has raised fresh questions about whether Rahman will travel to New Delhi as reported.

Rashtrapati Bhavan Withdraws Statement

The President’s Secretariat had announced that the Change of Guard ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhavan would not take place on August 22. It said a full rehearsal was planned for the ceremonial welcome of the Bangladesh Prime Minister. The statement was later withdrawn. At the time, neither India nor Bangladesh had officially confirmed Rahman’s visit.

Dhaka Says No Final Decision

The situation became more uncertain after Bangladesh said that no final decision had been made on the visit. Rahman’s press secretary, A A M Saleh, told Reuters that Dhaka was waiting for India’s response on its requests concerning the extradition of former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and other fugitives. Indian officials have also not formally confirmed the reported August 23–25 schedule.

Sheikh Hasina Issue Remains Important

The proposed visit comes at a sensitive time for India-Bangladesh relations. Dhaka has been seeking the extradition of Sheikh Hasina, who has been living in India since leaving Bangladesh in 2024. The two countries have been trying to repair relations, but the extradition issue remains a major point of tension. Bangladesh has also indicated that a more favourable diplomatic environment is needed before the visit can move forward.

India Wants Dialogue With Bangladesh

Despite the uncertainty, India has signalled that it wants stronger engagement with Dhaka. Indian High Commissioner Dinesh Trivedi recently said that differences between the two countries can be resolved through talks. He also said Prime Minister Narendra Modi wants Rahman’s proposed visit to be memorable. The remarks suggest that both sides see direct dialogue as important for improving bilateral ties.

For now, Tarique Rahman’s India visit remains unconfirmed. The withdrawn Rashtrapati Bhavan statement has added to the confusion. New Delhi and Dhaka are still discussing the proposed trip, while the Sheikh Hasina extradition issue remains in the background. The final decision on the visit is now being closely watched in both countries.

 

Also Read: Lotte Choco Pie Faces FSSAI Notice and Recall Concern

Related Post

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *